I'm new but let me test to see if this works.

Discussion in 'Buddy Holly's fans' social room' started by derek, Jan 16, 2014.

1. derek

derek New Member

I tried to post several times but there were errors. I'm lucky I saved my post to a word pad document. (if this isn't the right spot for an intro, forgive, I tried looking for something that looks like it might and this is the closest thing I could find.):

I was born in 1970. my very first album I ever owned as a kid was the Buddy Holly 1972 double album set "A Rock & Roll Collection" That was the one where Earl Sinks (NOT Buddy) and the Crickets sings "Love's Made a Fool of You", error made by MCA at the time, and Buddy was/is my first rock singer I discovered. I was on a lot of music artist boards, I'm currently on 2 Beatle boards but this is my first Buddy that I found. There are quite a few topics I would to explore like some of the different mixes of his last recordings.

I'm sorta doing a "sound research" thing now. and it involves early recording artists from the 50s and 60s, like the Beatles, Elvis and...our Buddy.

2. daisymaeholly

daisymaeholly Lead Admin Staff Member Administrator

Oh a relative youngster to Buddy world then! I still think Buddy is the best and most innovative rock musician ever and that his music still doesn't age. As you can see, I had the singular privilege of actually seeing him live on stage! (dead proud of that too, I am!)

Not that I'm not delighted to hear from you, but there is a slightly more active board here BHAS-CFC where you might find more feedback than in the this forum which has largely been a "Marie Celest" of the forum world. I only keep it up to have a platform for my Archive of newspaper clippings but it would be nice to think you might be the first of many!

3. derek

derek New Member

Thank you so much for all you did. I guess as it turns out I've always favored musicians that did their own writing and music, that's why I also love the Beatles because they continued that.

With all that said I am NOT downplaying Elvis, I know there are a few instances where writing your own stuff is not that important and Elvis is that exception. But Buddy raised the bar to that level. Elvis DID set the stage but Buddy raised it! Now there are 2 guys right there that wouldn't have minded collaborating together.

One thing is for sure Buddy would stayed away from Hollywood and movies, hehe. and Buddy would have kicked Elvis' butt out his self-absorbed depression and tell him to "SNAP OUT OF IT! Let's do something! Dump that Tom Parker and RCA and come to work on my label. We'll take better care of you".

Any rate, my fantasy, hee hee

4. daisymaeholly

daisymaeholly Lead Admin Staff Member Administrator

Wouldn't that have been cool, eh?

Did you ever read the book "Rave On" by Philip Norman? In there, Normal relates how Buddy and the boys played back-up for Elvis when he played a few dates in and around Lubbock. There are even photos of them together. However, at that time, Buddy had yet to make his break in the biz.

Nice to think they chilled out together though.